- WRITING: A natural storyteller with a friendly, magazine-style voice, I deliver engaging, informative copy. I have a body of published work featuring travel, homes and general interest stories. My specialty is feature-length but I am equally happy writing blog or social media posts, soundbites and list-format and can also take on more in-depth work.
- EDITING: With sub editing as my core strength, I am adept at knocking copy into better shape, improving flow, grammar and readability. Skilled at cutting back stories without losing any core information or flavour or interfering with the author’s voice. I’m also good at simplifying the delivery of complex information into friendly text to be read by the layman.
- LIAISON: I’m a true people person with great networking and liaison skills. Comfortable with and skilled at written and oral communication with a wide range of stakeholders from commissioning photographers and artists to meeting with a company CEO to discuss advertising objectives.
- Sub editor, Australian newspapers, Fairfax, Auckland.
- Chief sub editor, Next magazine, ACP (now Bauer), Auckland.
- Associate editor, 25 Beautiful Homes, IPC, London.
- Chief sub editor, Horse magazine, IPC, London.
- Book editor, non-fiction, Carroll & Brown, London.
Qualifications & software literacy
- Hootsuite Platform Certified (click link to view certificate)
- Fully conversant with Adobe InDesign, Genera Cyberpage, CQ5 content-management system and Microsoft Word. Some experience with Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, WordPress, Methode and Microsoft Excel.
- Four O levels and one A level (English Literature)
Editorial work history
Self employed Auckland & London
Freelance sub editor/writer (Auckland) September 2008 to Present
Freelance sub editor/writer (London) October 2004 to June 2006
Freelance sub editor (London) April 1998 to September 1998
Auckland: Feature writing and in-house subbing. Titles across multiple companies included Home NZ, Your Home & Garden, Herald Travel, M2, Idealog and NZ Today (features); Next and North & South (features and subbing); New Idea, Woman’s Day and NZ House & Garden (subbing); Good (advertorial management). Other clients included Random House and Penguin (proof reading of non-fiction titles). During this time I also held part time sub editor roles at ACP and Fairfax (details follow).
London: Titles across multiple companies included: 25 Beautiful Kitchens and Homes & Interiors Scotland (features); Property Ladder, Ideal Home, Slimming and Horse (features and subbing); BBC Good Homes (features and chief sub cover); OK!, Chat, Woman’s Weekly, Here’s Health, Top Santé and Best (subbing). I also edited books for Bridgewater Books (a packager for Element).
Fairfax Media Auckland
Sub editor (part time), Australian newspapers August 2014 to April 2016
Working within Fairfax Editorial Services on The Australian Financial Review, The Melbourne Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Canberra Times.
The role: Working in queues for these titles handling news and features across print deadlines with fast turnaround expected. Writing heads, captions, checking flow and grammar in CQ5 for online and fitting stories (with large cuts often needed) and writing heads within set character lengths on Cyberpage for print. (The entire FES team was disestablished April 2016.)
APC Media (now Bauer) Auckland
Chief sub editor, Next magazine October 2006 to August 2008
Sub editor (part time), Next magazine September 2008 to August 2010
Next is one of New Zealand’s leading Women’s titles.
The role: Management of one full-time sub editor; editing and proofing of files from raw copy to dyeline; originating heads, sells and captions, rewriting as necessary, fact checking, proof reading and fitting copy on screen; liaison with production, columnists, designers and editor; implementing smooth production systems and managing the editing process to ensure we produced great pages within our deadlines.
When I moved to part time I worked alongside rather than under the new chief sub editor, working full time during deadline week. I also took on the role of Homes editor, which included sourcing houses and commissioning writers and photographers and at one point managed the flat-planning of the entire magazine.
IPC Media London
Associate editor, 25 Beautiful Homes June 2001 to March 2003
Acting editor, 25 Beautiful Kitchens April 2003 to August 2003
25 Beautiful Kitchens (25BK) was the bi-monthly sister title to 25 Beautiful Homes and the biggest selling kitchen magazine in the UK market during my time there. It has recently closed.
The role: Deputising for the editor in her absence and full responsibility for putting together
25 Beautiful Kitchens. I managed two staff members, forward planned and oversaw the production process including liaison with the art editor to approve page design and proof reading copy at all stages. I commissioned 25 real-life stories and a 16-page buyer’s guide.
During the editor’s maternity leave, my role was increased to full responsibility. Extra duties included budgeting and planning, attending brand meetings and conceptualising advertorials, plus full responsibility for approval of design, cover choice and coverlines. I was able to drive circulation and advertising revenue up at a time when the homes market was suffering.
IPC Media London
Chief sub editor, Horse magazine October 1998 to June 2001
Horse is a monthly title with the emphasis on practical horsecare and training. Originally part of IPC’s Country and Leisure Media portfolio, it is now published by Mytimemedia.
The role: Editing of copy at all stages from raw to chromalin. This included liaison with the author, rewriting as necessary, originating heads and sells and fitting on screen; liaison with editorial team (including responsibility for one full-time sub and any freelance cover), freelance writers, designers, repro house and printers. Generation of feature ideas and feature writing as required.
Carroll & Brown London
Editor, non-fiction books January 1995 to July 1998
Titles edited: Cordon Bleu Complete Home Cooking Step-by-Step; 576pp, Cassell, 1998; Diet & Weight Control and Shaping Up; Reader’s Digest’s Health & Healing series, each 160pp, 1997; Bulbs, Growing, Herbs and Roses; a series of four workbooks, each 96pp, Warner Books, 1996.
The role: Management of project from concept stage to film production; copy editing; research and writing; liaison with client, editorial team, authors and designers; originating ideas for illustrations; commissioning artists and picture researchers; providing editorial direction at photographic shoots.
Travel, horse riding; hiking; music; film; photography; theatre; homes and architecture; conservation.
REFEREES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST